Over the years, potatoes have become an indispensable ingredient in the preparation of most dishes. We use it as a side dish or main dish. Well, in order for it to retain its taste and all its useful properties, it must be properly stored.
Peculiarities of storing potatoes in the apartment?
There are several rules on how to properly store potatoes in the apartment:
Dry well. Before storing potatoes, it is advisable to dry them for at least 3 hours to get rid of excess moisture. Such a procedure reduces several times the possibility that the product can go bad.
Watch the temperature. Remember, the higher the temperature in the room, the faster the moisture evaporates, which can make it unfit for consumption. The ideal temperature for storing potatoes should not exceed 4 to 7 degrees Celsius (if you keep them in a refrigerated place) and 18 degrees Celsius (if you keep them in an enclosed container).
Avoid festering. The main enemy of potatoes is all kinds of fungi and bacteria that trigger the festering process. In order to slow the spread of festering, it is advisable to cover the potatoes with fresh wormwood leaves.
Closer to spring, a new problem may arise – small sprouts may begin to appear, the appearance of which can be stopped by using dried mint.
Where to store potatoes in the apartment?
There are 4 places in your home that are perfect for storing potatoes:
- Sink or sink. Potatoes need to be stored in a dark, enclosed space where optimum humidity levels are maintained, and the sink is great for this. They are also best stored in wicker baskets rather than plastic bags.
- Balcony or loggia. It is in this place that it is recommended to store potatoes, since there is room to place them, and the temperature and humidity are at an optimal level. Do not forget to transfer the product from a bag or bag into a wooden box. If the balcony is not insulated and has no other protection from external factors, it is better to cover the inside of the box with Styrofoam, as it does not decompose and allows you to regulate the temperature inside the container, and on top it is better to cover it with old, warm clothes (to keep warm inside), so that the potatoes do not freeze.
- Refrigerator. Another suitable place in which an acceptable temperature (which, by the way, can be adjusted to your liking), humidity, and virtually no light sources are maintained at all times. Also in this case, it is best to put the potatoes in a thick plastic bag or sack (this way, the potatoes will not absorb odors from the entire refrigerator). A significant disadvantage of this storage method is the fact that you will not be able to store it in a large volume, alas, the dimensions of the fridge itself (it will not fit more than three or five kilograms of potatoes).
- Entranceway or corridor. If there’s no space in the apartment, there’s plenty of it in the entryway or hallway. In addition, the temperature there is several times lower than on the balcony or loggia. But, be sure to take care of the security of the product and put the box “turnkey” (for example, a key lock or nailing the container to the floor with nails or screws)
Important to know: Remember that when storing potatoes, you should be concerned not only about their optimal humidity, but also about the temperature of the surrounding air.
How to store potatoes in the apartment in the summer?
If in the cold season with the storage of potatoes is very simple (the main thing – to observe the humidity and not to let the potatoes to freeze), with storage in the summer time there may be certain difficulties. This situation may arise if there is a small amount of potatoes left from the winter.
- The first thing is to make sure that it is not in the sun for a long time, because because of this, the moisture may evaporate.
- If it is not possible to store in a cool place, then forget about keeping it at a comfortable temperature, because if the temperature exceeds 28 degrees Celsius, the potatoes can simply dry out. To avoid this situation, put a cut plastic bottle full of water next to the container where the potatoes are stored (with this you can control the humidity and temperature).
As you can see, storing potatoes should be approached with all the plumbness, following a few basic rules. The first thing is to choose the right place for storage, where the temperature, light and humidity will be at an optimal level. Also, do not forget to constantly monitor the standing of the product.