Are you interested in the answer to the burning question, “How to quickly remove an ink stain?” Then be sure to read this article to the very end. To stain clothes with the coloring substance from a ballpoint pen can not only a child, but also an adult. Modern manufacturers offer a wide range of household chemicals to cope with almost any stain. But not every housewife has the money to buy such expensive stain removers. Ink from clothing should be removed immediately, while it is still “fresh” and has not had time to penetrate deeply into the fabric. Use simple, effective ways to remove ink stains with the help of improvised means, which can be found in almost every home.
Useful tips for housewives
Do you want the ink stain removal procedure to be as effective and safe for your clothes as possible? Then be sure to adhere to the following tips from experienced hostesses.
- It is advisable to start removing ink stains as soon as possible. Once the substance dries, it will be very difficult to get rid of it.
- If you see a ballpoint pen stain left on your clothes, immediately blot it with a damp cloth, towel, or regular paper. That way you can quickly remove the ink that has not yet had time to absorb from the fabric.
- Dye in the washing process is strictly forbidden now. Not only will it not disappear, but it will also greatly increase in size, and the ink will penetrate the fabric fibers very deeply.
- Ink stains are removed on a flat hard surface. Be sure to put a cloth napkin under the soiled material so as not to accidentally contaminate the table or ironing board.
- Be sure to change the cotton pads while handling the soiling, they should always remain clean.
- Remove the stain from the edge to the center. This way you can prevent the ink from spreading over the material.
- The stain remover you use should first be tested on the wrong side of the garment.
If you adhere strictly to these rules, you will be able to clean your clothes from ink stains quickly and easily. These rules apply to all materials and types of stain removers.
Where do I begin the process of removing ink stains from fabric? If your clothes just have a small ballpoint pen mark on them, you can wash it off with warm water and soap. If the stain doesn’t go away, rub it with an old, unwanted toothbrush.
For a large and “greasy” stain, this method should not be used unless you want the ink to spread over the material. To prevent the stain from increasing in size when wet, treat it with paraffin or wax beforehand. It is necessary to melt it beforehand, and then with a toothpick or a cotton swab treat the borders of the stain. The substance should completely impregnate the fabric, only then you can proceed directly to the removal of the ink.
How do you remove ink with alcohol-based liquids?
Fresh ballpoint pen stains can be removed with regular medical alcohol, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, or any other alcohol-containing substance. Let’s look at a few of the most effective ways.
- It is best to clean white clothing from an ink stain with hydrogen peroxide. However, this method is only suitable for polyester fabrics. First of all, completely soak the thing in cold water. Do not rub the stain, just rinse. Soak a cotton pad in 3% hydrogen peroxide and thoroughly treat the stain with it. When the stain is completely gone, wash the garment with laundry detergent in warm water.
- To remove ink from natural fabrics (cotton, linen, silk, wool) use the following recipe. Mix 2 tsp. alcohol and 1 tsp. ammonia. Soak a cotton pad or cloth in this solution and treat the stain thoroughly. When the ink is gone, secure the result by wiping the spot with a cloth soaked in table vinegar. After that, you can wash the thing completely by hand or in a washing machine. This method is suitable for white or beige clothes.
- Fresh ink stains can be easily removed with any colorless alcohol solution. It is enough to soak a cotton pad in such a liquid and thoroughly treat the dirt. When the ink starts to disappear, blot the treated area with a soft sponge to remove the excess alcohol from the fabric. If the stain is no longer there, you can proceed to normal washing, otherwise repeat the procedure.
All of the above methods are more suitable for cleaning white clothes. The thing is that alcohol, ammonia, and even more so hydrogen peroxide can significantly change the color of the fabric, so for colored things it is better to choose other methods.
Milk and glycerin to fight ink stains
You can easily get rid of fresh ink stains with common products that you have in any refrigerator or cosmetic bag. Let’s look at a few of the most effective ways that can be used for almost any type of fabric and even leather goods.
- You can remove ballpoint pen dirt with plain milk. The first thing to do is to blot the fresh stain with a dry cloth to remove any residual dye that has not been absorbed. Wet the treated place with warm water, and then pour warm milk completely over the thing. The fabric should soak for at least 2 hours. If the milk has changed color badly, you should definitely change it for a new one. When the stain is completely gone, just wash the thing.
- Soak a cotton pad in glycerin, and blot the stained spot on the cloth with it. Repeat until the ink is completely gone. After such treatment, the thing should be well washed with powder, rinsed in water with a few drops of ammonia.
One of the most effective and unusual ways to remove ink stains is to treat the soiled area with hairspray. This method allows you to clean even old dried up ink. The varnish should be gently applied to the ink, and then quickly blot with a clean cloth. Repeat several times, and you will be surprised to notice that the stain has become lighter and has completely disappeared.
The most effective ways to remove ink from clothes
Are you having trouble removing ink stains from your favorite clothes? Don’t rush to throw your shirt, pants or dress in the trash. Use the following effective ways to fight the ink.
- Mix alcohol and nail polish remover in equal proportions. Carefully apply the resulting liquid to the stain, wait a few minutes, and only then wipe with a cotton swab. The ink should lighten and then disappear completely.
- A solution of baking soda (2 tbsp), ammonia (1 tsp) and water (1 tbsp) has received a lot of positive feedback from housewives. Use this mixture only for white clothes. After removing the soiling, rinse the garment in cold water.
- Black natural silk items can be cleaned with a special gasoline soap. The unpleasant smell will disappear immediately after washing.
- Several tablespoons of dry mustard powder should be diluted with water to make a thick pulp. This mixture is applied to the ink stain and left for 24 hours. After that time, scrape off the hard crust carefully, and wash the clothes in warm water.
- An ink stain on outerwear can easily be removed with ordinary lemon juice. If the dye has already dried, add a little salt to the juice. This will help get rid of the stain much faster.
If all of the above methods didn’t work, contact a dry cleaner. One-time cleaning of clothes from ink stains will cost you much less than buying a quality stain remover.
Using household chemicals
Sometimes an ink stain can’t be removed with the help of simple improvised means. In difficult situations, use household chemicals. For example, colored paint can be removed from a white fabric with ordinary whitewash. Dissolve chlorine-based bleach in water, soak stained clothes in such liquid for several hours, then wring out and send to the washing machine.
In addition, you can buy a stain remover “Dr. Beckmann” in a household chemicals store. Such a product is specially designed to remove dirt from ink from the printer or ballpoint pens. The product is recommended to use for fresh stains, apply according to the instructions. However, with the help of the stain remover “Dr. Beckmann” you will not be able to remove black stains. For such ink is better suited means “ARENAS”. Many positive reviews received the product “Antipyatin” from the Russian manufacturer. This product is not expensive, but it fights ink stains very well.
If it’s not just your clothes that get dirty
You have a leaking ballpoint pen or printer’s ink, and the ink got on the carpet, furniture. Warm acetic acid can help you deal with this kind of dirt. Warm the liquid and soak a cotton swab or a cotton pad in it. Treat the textile surface with such a tool very quickly and accurately. Immediately after the ink is removed, thoroughly treat the place with rubbing alcohol, and then rinse with water with a few drops of ammonia.
When acetic acid is heated, harmful fumes are released. It is strictly forbidden to inhale them. Treat surfaces outdoors or in a well-ventilated room. Some housewives claim that they were able to remove ink stain with a napkin soaked in ordinary beer.
How do you quickly remove ink from leather?
If you’ve stained your favorite leather purse or jacket with ink, don’t feel bad. You can easily and quickly remove traces of ink at home. To do this, you can use:
- Turpentine mixed with salt;
- Medical alcohol;
- Hand cream or pure glycerin.
If the stain is fresh, sprinkle the soiled area of the skin with salt, and leave it for a few days. After this time, remove the salt with a dry brush, and then wipe the surface of the material with a cloth soaked in turpentine.
Ballpoint pen marks can be removed with scotch tape. Cut a small strip of tape, apply it to the soiling, and press down firmly. Tear off the tape sharply, and you will see that all the dye remains on it. Light-colored leather product is best cleaned with a product consisting of glycerin and ammonia. The stain is carefully treated with such a composition, and then wiped off with a dry cloth.
Cleaning denim from traces of ink
Denim is very difficult to clean from ink stains. If you stained your favorite pants or shirt, pretreat the stain with alcohol or any alcohol-containing liquid. Then you need to apply salt to the stain, and wait a few hours. Usually such simple manipulations are enough to return the denim material clean. It remains only to thoroughly wash the thing in the washing machine.
You can also use warm lemon juice for this type of fabric. By raising the temperature of such a liquid, its active components penetrate very quickly into the deepest layers of the material and lighten the ink.
Stain from red dyeing element is better removed with ammonia, and black or purple stains with acetone solution. Clean light blue or white jeans with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia (in the same ratio). If the stain is very fresh, you can remove it with regular starch. Simply sprinkle it on the stained area, and gently blot with a cloth.