Removing stains is often a time-consuming process that requires knowledge and time investment. But there is a special kind of dirt that is not easy to deal with because of the peculiarities of its origin. Such stains include vomit, the mere mention of which, causes an attack of disgust. But those whose families have small children or owners of pets often have to deal with such a problem. No one is immune to the hasty reaction of the body.
Saving upholstered furniture from vomit
Often, even adults do not have time to prevent the consequences of vomiting, not to mention children! Therefore, it is not superfluous for everyone to know how to remove vomit stains from furniture. Reflexive need arises catches an adult, child or pet in the most unpredictable places. And the result is disappointing, because unpleasant secretions on furniture upholstery, carpeting or clothing will not be ignored. And the disgusting smell instantly permeates the room and is absorbed into the fabric or other covering. Like any contamination, traces of vomit are best eliminated immediately, not giving the stomach spew a chance to be absorbed into the fabric fibers. Simple guidelines should be followed so as not to make the situation worse. Small tricks will make the job of eliminating the unpleasant contamination easier.
- Initially, you should remove vomit residue from the surface of the sofa, chair, using paper towels, toilet paper, rags, rags.
- Afterwards, you should use a damp sponge, gently scrubbing away any residual dirt. But one should not at this stage remove the residue from the stomach eruption by smearing or rubbing motions.
- It is strictly forbidden to use hot water to remove vomit stains, because it:
- It promotes penetration of the disgusting smelly slurry deep into the fibers of the upholstery and sofa filler;
- At high temperatures, it will cause the protein to curdle, making it harder to wash such dirt from the upholstery;
- provokes the spread of the disgusting odor not only throughout the room where the trouble occurred, but also deep into the furnishings.
- Cold or slightly lukewarm water is recommended, in which the remains of undigested food with gastric enzyme involved in the digestive process are best dissolved.
- If squeamishness cannot be overcome, a generous sprinkling of cat litter, which is excellent at absorbing not only the liquid vomit but also the unpleasant aroma emanating from it, should be used. Once absorbed, the resulting pile can be gently swept away on a dustpan, and the remains removed with a vacuum cleaner.
- You can use a great remedy that any housewife has on hand is baking soda. Without sparing, it is necessary to fill the place from where the vomit is removed with baking soda, which is left for some time. This remedy:
- has excellent absorbent properties, eliminating residual moisture;
- Absorbs unpleasant odor;
- Excellent for neutralizing stomach acid.
If you work clearly in the first step to eliminate the effects of nausea, you can get rid of the marks relatively quickly.
Experienced hostesses in the absence of the above remedies can successfully use salt or starch, which are also excellent at absorbing moisture and will contribute to the removal of dirt.
What to clean the smell of vomit from furniture, carpeting
Carefully examining the modern household chemicals on store shelves can help you pick decent options that will help eliminate the disgusting smell of vomit on your couch, upholstered corner or carpeting.
- To neutralize the unpleasant “odor,” you can use preparations that are sold in auto-chemistry stores. But they should be used carefully in a room where small children live, because they can cause allergic reactions.
- Excellent proven means for cleaning carpets, stain removers, which can not only remove the traces of vomit on the upholstery, but also neutralize the embedded smell.
- A real salvation for hostesses trying to remove the persistent acidic smell from vomit from furniture are special remedies sold in pet stores. They have an excellent neutralizing effect in relation to the odors inherent in the activity of pets.
- Among folk remedies, ammonia alcohol, which is mixed in a 1:1 ratio, is excellent for dealing with the smell of vomit. Dip a sponge into the prepared mixture and pat the stain with patting movements.
- Air ozonators, which contain ozone that kills the bacteria and fungal spores that are the source of the disgusting smell, are excellent.
But in no case you should not try to muffle the smell of vomit with deodorants, perfumed liquids. It is better not to use perfumes or means masking a nauseating smell, because when you combine them you get a rattling disgusting smelling mixture.
How to Launder Vomit From Clothes Properly
If you got vomit on your clothes, bedding, you should not put off the procedure of eliminating contamination for later, and immediately act. Tips on how to launder vomit from clothing items will help prolong the life of your favorite things.
- Wash off vomit residue with cold water. But it is necessary to direct the water jet on the contamination from the wrong side to minimize penetration into the fabric fibers.
- If the vomit has had time to dry, you should scrape it off and then soak it for several hours by adding an enzyme prewash detergent to the cold water.
- When soaking, a small amount of undiluted detergent (gel, shampoo, soap) should be rubbed into both stale dirt and fresh dirt to help scrub away the stubborn dirt.
- Those interested in what to wash vomit from clothes should know that it is better to choose a powder or liquid laundry detergent where alkaline is predominant.
Among the folk methods for dealing with this kind of stain is baking soda, with which the stain is sprinkled, and lemon juice or vinegar is poured on top. Those looking for how to remove vomit stains from clothes will not be disappointed after trying the effects of hydrogen peroxide on white clothes.
The right option for getting rid of vomit and bad odor is up to each housewife’s discretion.