Freezing is the best way to store food. Almost all edible supplies – vegetables, fruits and berries, mushrooms, herbs, cottage cheese, bakery products, meat and fish, sausages and others – can be perfectly stored in the freezer for several months to a year. In this case, they do not lose their taste, presentation and vitamins. And now for more details on how and what vegetables can be stored frozen.
What vegetables can be frozen?
What vegetables can be kept frozen in the refrigerator? Some hostesses will answer that any, but that’s not quite true, because some vegetables change their taste not for the better after freezing/thawing. For example, potatoes become sweet and cucumbers turn into disgusting jelly, also do not freeze radishes, radishes.
Which vegetables can be frozen, I mean raw or cooked? Both store well at sub-zero temperatures.
If you boil potatoes, carrots, and beets, for example, and freeze them, you can then use these vegetables in making vinaigrette or Olivier. How long can you store cooked vegetables, so they do not disappear? 1 or 2 days, but in the frozen form they can be stored for several months. This is a good way to store vegetables for the future.
A list of vegetables that are great for long-term freezing in raw form:
- Meaty varieties of tomatoes. The Plum variety is best suited for this purpose. First, you need to remove the skin from the tomatoes (make a cross-shaped incision at the top, give the fruit boiling water, after which the skin is removed perfectly), then cut into circles, spread on a saucer and freeze. After all the frozen rings stack one on top of the other in a bag or container and send for long-term storage in the freezer;
- salad peppers. The fruit is washed, peeled, cut lengthwise into 2 parts. One part is stacked in the other (to save space), all stacked in a closed container (or cellophane bag) and sent for storage;
- Carrots. Peeled, washed, cut into circles or grated on a coarse grater, placed in a suitable container and frozen. Semi-finished product is used for the preparation of first courses;
- Beet. Cooked and stored in the same way as carrots;
- white cabbage. In shredded form stored in the freezer. it can be used to prepare cabbage, borscht, hodgepodge, stew. It saves a lot of time;
- Cauliflower and broccoli. They are disassembled into patties before storing. Some housewives blanch these species before freezing;
- Onions. Greens and onions store well when frozen. But first they have to be washed and sliced;
- Zucchini and eggplant (blue). Zucchini are cut into cubes, used only for soups or stews. And frozen eggplants can also be fried;
- green peas. Well-ripened (no longer sweet) peas are peeled from their pods and frozen in a bag or plastic containers. Can be used in soup, stews, omelets;
- Corn. First the ripe cobs are boiled, then the grains are separated from them and stored in the freezer;
- pumpkin. Before freezing, the peeled pulp should be cut into cubes.
Each vegetable can be stored separately or made into an assortment of different kinds. The vegetables are used frozen at once in the cooking process; they must not be thawed, or they will become unfit for consumption.
You can also store vegetables in the garage. Beets, carrots, potatoes, and whole pumpkins are great for this. All other vegetables will go bad quickly.
Shelf life. Tips for hostesses
The question immediately arises how long you can store frozen vegetables. The optimal storage period is 3-4 months. But it can be extended up to one year. Even after such a long storage period frozen vegetables will lose no more than 25% of the vitamins, will retain a fresh taste and aroma, an attractive appearance. After a year of storage it is better to throw away the frozen vegetables.
- Be sure to wash, peel, and chop the vegetables before putting them in the freezer;
- It is not necessary to store in one container a lot of vegetables at once. It is better to arrange them in portions, so that it is easier to use;
- When putting vegetables for storage in the freezer, you should put a piece of paper with the date of the beginning of storage in the container. This will help guide you later on with the storage time;
- Boiled vegetables (beets, carrots and potatoes) before freezing should be cut into cubes as for vinaigrette;
- Frozen vegetables are used immediately. They must not be defrosted!
Now every housewife will know how to store raw frozen vegetables, how much to store cooked vegetables in the freezer.